I finally dragged myself down to the studio again last night. I’m using the word dragged, because I had not been there since before I went to Sweden this past summer, and as much as I’ve been anxious to get started with a project that I had been planning for since August, I’ve also been postponing it for no reason other than the fear for it not turning out the way I’ve imagined and the following disappointment. I really couldn’t postpone it any longer since the first shot involved me having the camera and the lights outside shooting/shining in through the window. In case you’re wondering, I did end up being disappointed because the window I needed to shoot in through turned out to be painted shut. The only window in our house that doesn’t open, the only one I could use to create the image I had in mind… I got something usable at the end, but not exactly what I originally had in mind.
After having said all that, today’s image is actually not the image I created last night. If everything goes according to my plan, it will be a series of three or four images that I will post later once they’re all completed. I took another set of images as practice shots for one of the images I’m planning for later. It won’t be the same pose or “location,” but I wanted to see if I could get tears in front of the camera turn out ok, because my project image will involve tears. Lessons I learned – it’s hard to make natural tears well visible on image, mostly it will just look like wet streaks on the face, which is not what I’m after so I need to keep practicing; and if you use an onion to help bring on the tears, make sure that the onion is freshly cut, and, oddly, “sniffing” the onion brings on tears way better than just putting it close to your eyes.
Keep in mind that this is a test shot, and my camera settings were all wrong – I didn’t worry about anything other than making sure that the image wasn’t under- or overexposed and kept the settings pretty much the same as they were for a very different type of shot I took right before this – so the image isn’t as sharp or technically good as it could have been had I not been “sloppy,” but I like the mood. It was a fun image to edit because I didn’t worry about making myself look my best, but was instead concentrated on getting the light/mood to look right.
(70-210mm f2.8 lens @ 150mm, ISO 160, f/18, 1/40 sec + 300ws monolight with 30* grid and barndoors)