Tonight I am pretty proud of myself. My very first attempt at double exposure film portrait actually worked out the way I intended it to. At the very end of my most recent studio session that I posted a few digital images from a few days ago, I decided to try out the self timer on my Mamiya 105mm DS lens. We had recently purchased a big stack of board games from a yard sale and among the games was a pin point impression needle art frame. The needles on the frame are made of silver colored shiny metal and I got this idea to use that as one of the two exposures for my double exposure self portrait. Unfortunately the frame is rectangular, while my Mamiya C330f produces square format negatives, so I wasn’t sure exactly how it will work out, but decided to give it a try. There is no autofocus, and at close distances parallax error comes to play with a TLR camera, and it’s very difficult to get your intended shot when you somehow have to place yourself in the frame and get the focus right while not being behind the camera so the whole thing was potentially going to be a flop. The fear of the shoot not working out had caused me to postpone developing the roll of film for a week, but finally my curiosity won, and I developed the film last night.
To my huge surprise, the double exposure turned out better than I could have ever hoped for, and it may just be the image I’m most proud of to date, because of how difficult it was to create. Granted, all the rest of the non-double-exposure images on that roll of film that are shot from a further distance are out-of-focus – but some actually in a good way – but this one I really, really like.
(Mamiya C330f, 105mm 3.5 DS lens, Fuji Neopan Acros 100, developed in Ilford DD-X 1+7 for 7.5 minutes, and scanned with Epson V550)